What a start to the new academic year we've had! The students have been continuing their learning by working hard in the studio and having fun in the process. Check out what we've been up to and our recent news below:
This term we introduced a 'Choreography Feature Week' for all of our students and focused on the theme 'Friendships and Connections'. The effort, creativity and enthusiasm from all was just brilliant and teachers and pupils alike had a blast. Musicals, films, songs and more were explored through repertoire, creative practice and drama. Well done to all!
Our Advanced students had the fantastic opportunity to perform at this years Aberdeen Dance Proms held at the Beach Ballroom. Students performed the classical piece Raymonda, arranged by Lorna Scott and a Musical Theatre number America! by Michelle Whyte. It was an exciting event dancing alongside various dance schools from the Aberdeen area and went down a storm with audiences. Congratulations to all involved.
Congratulations to all of our students who took part in their vocational and graded exams this recent summer - the results were outstanding.
Adv 1 Modern - 10 out of 12 students received a mark of Distinction with the others gaining Merit. This exam takes so much time, stamina and training so to gain marks like these is an incredible achievement. Graded Modern pupils also did extremely well - 92% received a mark of Distinction with the remaining 8% gaining Merit. Within RAD Vocational Ballet exams the success continued with
Adv 1 & Intermediate Ballet gaining a fantastic 80% Distinction and 20% High Merit.
Level 6 National Certificate
Congratulations to Scott, Daisy, Keira, Lily-Bell and Morven who were recently awarded the Level 6 National Certificate in Dance. They completed 12 Units in total including Improvisation, Dance History and Audition Preparation. An incredible achievement at just S2/S3 and with the majority of learning taking place over Zoom! We are extremely proud of this group.
SQA Class of 22/23
Danscentre’s SQA class of 2022-2023 have made a great start to the Higher/National 5 Dance course so far. In term 1 we have focused on choreography and the study of professional piece Swansong. We can’t wait to watch them flourish and progress throughout their journey.
Scottish Ballet Workshop
DC students had a wonderful time taking part in a workshop with Scottish Ballet covering some repertoire from the current touring production of Coppélia! The production is a thrilling new version of the classical ballet, choreographed and directed by Jess and Morgs. Our students had a blast learning the choreography from ‘the party scene’ of the production. Thank you Scottish Ballet for this fantastic opportunity,
What a fantastic day our Grade 2 to 5 students had with DC teacher Georgia Murray for a Musical Theatre/Commercial workshop! In the Musical Theatre section of the class, students were taught energetic choreography to 'Carrying the Banner' from the Disney musical Newsies, developing their own characters and relationships with their peers to portray the story - keeping up the high energy, the class then switched to a fun, funky commercial routine. Check out the video montage below to see what they got up to:
DC Alumni News
Huge congratulations to Danscentre alumni Beth Nicholson and Murray Williams who will be performing in the Aberdeen HMT panto this winter!
Beth was a pupil here for many years and is currently studying at Laine Theatre Arts. We are delighted for her and look forward to seeing her perform her professional debut in the role of Wendy! Since attending Danscentre, Murray trained at Millennium Performing Arts in London and is currently on his third contract with P&O Cruises. Murray will be returning home to Aberdeen to perform as part of the ensemble at HMT.
Congratulations to you both and we can’t wait to see the performance.
Royal Ballet School: Inspire Seminar
DC teacher Georgia Murray had the fantastic opportunity to attend the Royal Ballet School’s Inspire: Seminar 1 in London! See below what she had to say about her day:
‘Had a wonderful and insightful day at The Royal Ballet School’s Inspire Seminar in London! Coming away with a refreshed and greater understanding of the tools required to give students a beneficial and affective way of learning in the studio and looking forward to put it into practice. Excited for the next one!’
Halloween Dress Up Week
From Monday 31 October-Saturday 5 November, we are holding a DC Halloween/Bonfire Night dress up week! Students from Preschool to Grade 2 can come in their favourite costume to DC classes to get into the season spirit.
We wish you all a fabulous October break and look forward to more adventures in Term 2 which begins with Halloween/bonfire dress up for our Junior school from Monday 31st October!